Monday, January 24, 2011

Public Places

I have decided, that regardless of the pain in the butt that it is going to be that I need to start going to a new grocery store. There is another one that is a few minutes farther away that will be okay but it is difficult to give up the convenience of 5 minutes away for 15. Yet with my transition I feel I have to at this point. Tonight I was running to the store for just three items and as I walked in I hear "Hi      "  and I look and it is a guy who I served with. I almost didn't even respond because he used my female name and at this point I don't really react to that as much as I do Jackson. However the voice was familiar and I turned. And then I was completely triggered. It just so happened that it was the first time in I however many weeks that I had gone out in public without my binder on. Now what I was wearing concealed my breasts for me, however I felt different and not in a good way. I was just too lazy to get back out of my pajama's and put it on. So after this guy said hi to me, and I wasn't wearing my binder but for all other intensive purposes looked like a guy I felt more insecure than I have in a long time. I hurriedly got my items and left but not before realizing that almost every single time I go to that specific store I am referred to as female or run into someone I knew from before. At this point in time it is simply becoming too much for me to deal with, or want to deal with really. My partner asked why I don't just tell these people I am getting to the point that I don't want to tell every checker at the store, every person I see a couples times a month on average. I am tired of coming out to people, because I feel like being transgender has overtaken my identity and who I am as a person. I am tired of coming out to people and feeling like that is all I am as a person, a transgender individual who is changing their gender to match who they are. How do you explain that to everyone? I know of course I can't avoid it completely but I can avoid it to some degree. The fact that I changed my name on my grocery store card doesn't matter because they think I got married and still call me by my old name at least at that store. I am just kinda feeling like I am at the end of my rope with the store issue. I look forward to the day that I am fully transitioned and don't have to deal with this anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
;