So now onto the topic on my mind at the moment. Going to the gym. A struggle for many transgender people. It is something that I took for granted for a long time and never even considered as a privilege before now. So I had a gym membership when our daughter was born and for time and exhaustion reasons never made it so I put the membership on hold for three months. Then last month that hold expired and I decided to keep it anyway. Well in between the daughter being born and now I have been transitioning. So the gym has become a problem for me. I live as a man, however have the body of a woman still unfortunately. So to go to they gym would be very difficult for me. I can't go run and wear my binder, so I have to go as the female I was born as. Clearly I am not okay with that or I wouldn't be transitioning and living as Jackson at this point in time. I don't shave so that might draw attention to myself. I don't feel I would be comfortable using a locker room which means no bathroom if I need it. And then swimming....well that is the mother of all problems right there and the exact problem that brought this all up tonight. My partner has wanted for some time to take our daughter to baby swim lessons and finally tonight was the night. We both went but I was just going to watch from the side. So to start with when we got there I immediately saw a couple I used to be close to from the cult church I was part of. Thankfully they didn't see me, but that is just one reason I hate that gym. Anyway though more later on that part of the problem. So we go into the pool and I am watching them swim, which by the way happens to be the cutest thing ever! A whole bunch of babies and their parents in the pool. Anyway so the good part about it was that as I stood there two men walked by and acknowledged me which made me feel great. However, I quickly got sad because I realized that even if I wanted to I couldn't go in the pool with my sweet little girl. I suppose I could if I wanted to wear a woman's bathing suit but there is no way in hell that is going to happen. So basically I can go if I go as a woman or not go at all. The funny part about the whole situation was that I was going to cancel my membership tonight and now I am contemplating whether I really want to or not. I think the major reason I would keep it is so that I can go watch her whenever I want because although not the same still so cute. However, the pool was rather excruciatingly hot with my binder and layers on that I need to wear to present as male. So that was another aspect of the problem, although thankfully not too much longer. So do I want to pay $37 a month for a few months so that I might be able to watch her swim? I don't know the answer to that question.
I feel sad about the fact that even if I wanted to I will never get to take her to baby swim lessons. My partner said I will get to take her to toddler swim class, but I am not sure it is really the same. I wish I was transitioned NOW because then I could go with her. Okay, rather I wish these damn breasts were gone now because then I could go. By the time that I will be able to go to baby swim class she won't be baby anymore :( so I am feeling totally bummed out. It is hard because it is another thing that almost everyone else takes for granted and they can either do or not do according to their will. This for me though is just something I don't get as a result of being transgender.
The other half of this problem as I see it is that there are massive amounts of people from the cult I was part of who use this gym. We use it because it is literally just minutes from our house and rather family friendly. However, given the baggage I still have with those people running into them almost every time I am there makes it unpleasant enough to drive elsewhere. I am hoping with my transition moving forward as it is that in time, very short time hopefully I could run into them and they wouldn't have a clue who I was. Or at the very least maybe recognize me but be unable to place me maybe. So long term I don't really want to keep this gym as seeing these people brings up all kinds of old issues for me. Yet I like the idea of going as a family to swim class or whatever else we take her to. Yet I thought dealing with those people was hard as a lesbian, I can only imagine now how that will go.
There are so many things I have taken for granted in my life until three years ago. I know I wrote about that in a post a month or two back. How as a straight white middle class military member my life was good. I never thought about discrimination, the rights I had that others didn't etc. Then I came out as a lesbian and I discovered discrimination at the worst...the country I served telling me I could die for it but in return would be treated as a second class citizen. Now I realize that I was never a lesbian but always transgender and that lowers me even farther down on that social scale according to much of society still. It also adds, at least currently a whole new set of hardships to deal with and work through. I realize for some who are transgender the issues they have are not nearly as deep as they are for me. For a girl who came from an all american, apple pie family to where I am today has been extremely difficult and times like tonight at the gym remind me how I am no longer in that group of people that I always loved, and wanted to be a part of. That thing that I held so dear and now realize is so flawed. That one thing so many of my friends take for granted every day.

2 comments:
I was in your position with swim classes recently. (And not that it makes this pain better, but toddler swim classes are fun too.)
I posted a blog on it reflecting on my situation if you are interested in reading it.
Everyday with my daughter I realize a lot of what you are talking about. Things people take for granted that we have to struggle with daily.
I just have hope that we will perservere, and that when our daughters are grown, people will have more respect for others.
I don't have kids yet, so I don't know how either you or Eli actually feel. I do know that eventually transitioning does help. Once you've been on T a while, even if you haven't had top surgery, folks are likely to assume you just have man boobs. Man boobs are particularly desireable, but at least they aren't woman boobs.
Jackson, I'm sorry to hear so many folks from the cult you used to be part of attend the gym you go to (I'm assuming it's the same one I go to and have mentioned before). Just know that you at least have one friend there who will watch your back if you ever need it. I would happy to be a work out partner, if you ever want it.
Post a Comment