Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Day one post op

Today was my first full day post op and it has been tough. I have been in a decent amount of pain, between a 4 or 5 on a scale of 1-10. I only got narcotics enough for the first 24 hours for some personal reasons. I really didn't think I would need it. Boy am I regretting that. I have taken extra strength tylenol as well as Aleve and nothing is really helping. As long as I lay in bed it isn't too bad but if I try to get up it does become rather painful. I might be over doing it, however I doing almost nothing so I am not sure how that is possible. My left side is still in a lot more pain or discomfort than my left side. The drainage isn't too bad, slowing down a lot and hoping that on friday for my post op that i can get them removed. That would help a ton I think.

I am sleeping on my back, and sitting up at a small angle otherwise I can't get out of bed. However it makes me unable to sleep much, at most an hour and half before waking up. Then I am awake for 45 minutes or an hour and then fall back asleep and same thing over and over. Thankfully all I am doing is staying in bed so it isn't too bad because I am just resting all the time. I am pretty much staying in my boxers and thats it. I didn't even get out for fresh air today, which was tough. But there is no way I was up for anything really.

I managed to wash my hair and give myself some kind of sponge bath, just enough to feel part human again. I have been feeling so blah that I have not even thought about whether I am glad I did it or not. In a few days when I don't have tubes hanging from my chest and some of the pain is gone I am sure I am going to be so stinking thrilled. Right now though I just feel crappy. Not to mention the binder they put on me is bigger than the one I wore before so just looking at myself I have to be conscious of the fact that there are no boobs under there now. Until I see it though I think it will be surreal.

Overall though I am actually ready to be home, I think it would be more comfortable for me. The time seems to be going so slowly! Especially now that the big event is over.

Here is a picture of me today...you can see the drain tubes and the uncomfortable binder. It makes it hard to stand straight up.

2 comments:

Eli said...

I know its hard to tell man, but you'll be happy soon. :) Congrats!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing the pic. how often do you empty out the drains? From everything I've read its best not to do anything for about a week, keep your arms by your side and thats about it! Keep your head up, I hope you get some meds in you soon!

Post a Comment

 
;